Ready for High School Math
This course emphasizes understanding of mathematics concepts rather than just memorizing procedures. Students learn why to use a certain formula or method to solve a problem. By engaging students in real-world applications, Ready for High School Math develops critical thinking skills that students will use throughout their high school studies.
The course consists of eight units, culminating in a capstone project that emphasizes synthesis of concepts.
Ready for High School Math Outline
- Unit 1 The Number System
- Unit 2 Ratios and Proportional Relationships
- Unit 3 Univariate Statistics and Probability
- Unit 4 Expressions and Equations
- Unit 5 Geometry
- Unit 6 Functions and Linear Relationships
- Unit 7 Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
- Unit 8 Capstone Project
The Ready for High School Math course will be available for implementation during the 2016-17 school year. Interested school teams should attend the Readiness Courses Institute during the High Schools That Work Staff Development Conference in July 2016.