State Leaders’ Forum
2018 Convening to Target Perkins V and ESSA
December 12 – December 13, 2018
Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
SREB’s annual State Leaders’ Forum convenes teams of legislators, policymakers, state board members, secondary and postsecondary education leaders, and workforce development agency representatives to explore policies and practices that help more young adults graduate from high school with a head start on the postsecondary credentials and degrees they need to secure well-paying jobs in high-demand fields.
This year’s Forum will focus on the integration of three pieces of federal legislation — the Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act, the Every Student Succeeds Act and the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act, also known as Perkins V.
Teams of state education and workforce leaders — including chief state school officers, state higher education executive officials and leaders of state community and technical college systems — will discuss and plan strategies for integrating the components of these laws.
Representatives from the Association for Career and Technical Education, the U.S. Department of Labor and other leading organizations will participate in panel and table discussions.
SREB provides follow-up technical assistance to attending states.
To learn more and be notified when registration for the Forum opens, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017 Forum – State Accountability Systems That Value Both Cs in College and Career Readiness
Topics discussed included:
- Reorganizing low-performing schools around pathways
- Aligning career pathways with labor market demand
- Redesigning the senior year of high school to accelerate credential attainment
- Offering Advanced Career pathways and project-based curricula
- Supporting student transitions from the middle grades and high school to postsecondary education
- Increasing credential and degree attainment in fields like computer science, information technology (IT), cybersecurity and health care