SREB’s Approach to Project-Based Learning
SREB offers professional development and coaching services that build teachers’ capacity to design project-based assignments that help students master content and cultivate academic, technical and workplace skills.
Our approach to project-based learning blends our decades of experience with career pathways, work-based learning and high-quality assignments with elements of the Framework for High Quality Project Based Learning.
We use an industry-standard design process to “chunk” learning throughout a project-based unit. Academic or CTE teachers use this problem-solving process to scaffold learning and provide just-in-time instruction as students complete different phases of their projects.
Powerful PBL Practices
With support from SREB, teachers incorporate six powerful practices into their PBL units:
- Plan authentic, intellectually demanding PBL units in which students master essential content and skills
- Partner with business and postsecondary leaders to plan, implement and reflect on PBL units
- Engage students in a collaborative problem-solving process
- Foster a classroom environment that supports student ownership of learning
- Promote sustained in-depth inquiry
- Offer students ongoing, purposeful feedback and opportunities to revise and reflect on their work
SREB partners with states, districts and schools to design multi-day workshops that introduce teachers or teacher teams to project-based learning and engage them in designing their first PBL units. Follow-up coaching can include:
- Online planning to support the implementation of a PBL unit
- Visiting classes to observe student work or co-teach
- Examining student outcomes with teachers after a PBL unit
- Coaching teachers through problems with a PBL unit
- Developing additional PBL units
- Embedding literacy and math
- Integrating academic and CTE curricula
- Building business and industry partnerships
SREB’s approach to PBL serves as a guiding framework for our Advanced Career and Middle Grades STEM curricula and is a natural extension of our Powerful Literacy Practices and Powerful Mathematics Practices.