Connecting Classrooms, Careers and College
A Guide to High Schools That Work and Other SREB School Improvement Services
Connecting Classrooms, Careers and College offers a comprehensive guide to High Schools That Work and SREB’s related school improvement services.
For more than 30 years, SREB has partnered with states, districts and schools to identify and implement strategies that engage and empower young people to put what they learn in the classroom to work in the real world.
These efforts began in 1987 with High Schools That Work, a proven approach to creating learning environments that encourage youth to identify their goals, embrace hard work, earn credentials and degrees, and embark on careers. Through its state partnerships, HSTW grew from a few dozen sites to thousands of schools nationwide.
HSTW has evolved and expanded its state partnerships to include new frameworks for middle grades schools, high schools and technology centers as well as a suite of professional development and coaching services, research-based curriculum designs and special services, as described in this publication and listed below.
School Improvement Frameworks:
- High Schools That Work
- Making Middle Grades Work
- Technology Centers That Work
- Advanced Career STEM Pathway Academies
- Senior-Year Redesign
Professional Development and Instructional Coaching Services:
- Principal Leadership Development
- Literacy Professional Development
- Mathematics Professional Development
- Project-Based Learning in Career Pathways
- Teaching to Lead for Career Pathway Teachers
- Counseling for Careers and College
Research-Based Curricula and Observation Tools:
- Ready for High School Courses
- Ready for College Courses
- Middle Grades STEM Courses
- Advanced Career Curricula
- Literacy and Math Classroom Observation Tools
Special Convenings and Support Services:
- Annual High Schools That Work Staff Development Conference
- Annual College- and Career-Readiness Standards Networking Conference
- Annual State Leaders’ Forum
- Curriculum and Instruction Reviews
- Site Development Workshops
- Career Pathway Reviews
- Career Pathway Development Workshops