Am I Eligible?
The deadline to apply is March 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Am I Eligible?
Yes, if you are:
Accepted into or enrolled in a full-time, campus-based Ph.D. program at a participating institution in a participating state by August, the start of the academic year. We do not fund:
- D.B.A., D.D.S., D.N.P., D.P.T., D.V.M., Ed.D., J.D., M.D., Pharm. D., and/or
- Online, distance learning, or for-profit programs.
Applying for the Doctoral
Award: You must have been admitted into a
Ph.D. program or have not begun the second year of
study. See Types of Awards for
Applying for the Dissertation Award: You
- Completed all coursework
- Completed all comprehensive/preliminary exams
- Successfully defended the prospectus before the beginning of the academic year.
For either award:
- A member of a racial or ethnic minority group (including black, Asian American, Hispanic/Latin American, Native American or other).
- Hold or scheduled to receive a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university by the beginning of the fall semester.
- A U.S. citizen or have legal permanent resident status.
- Not employed outside of your department or discipline.
- Planning to become a full-time college or university faculty member after earning a Ph.D.
- Note: The program particularly encourages applicants who seek Ph.D.s in the STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) disciplines.
Applicants should receive notification of their status by the third week of August.
Take the Eligibility Quiz now.