Participating States & Institutions


Participating States & Institutions

SREB’s 16 member states are: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. Most of these states participate in the SREB-State Doctoral Scholars Program. The program is funded in part by participating states and participation depends upon university support. Only universities committed to the program’s goals sponsor doctoral scholars. In return, some participating states require that doctoral scholars teach in-state after completing their degrees. 

Below is a graphic of the SREB region that shows current states and eligible institutions that participate in the program. Special arrangements can be made with additional institutions and with institutions in other states if interested students have their chairpersons and/or graduate deans contact the Doctoral Scholars Program director, Ansley Abraham, at (404) 879-5573. See Institutional Participants at the bottom of the page.

General information

State Participants


  • Auburn University
  • University of Alabama
  • University of Alabama at Birmingham
  • University of South Alabama


  • Arkansas State University
  • University of Arkansas at Fayetteville
  • University of Arkansas at Little Rock
  • University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
  • University of Arkansas for Medical Services


Applicants applying in Georgia must submit verification from the university of in-state residency status.

General information

Institutionally Funded Doctoral and Dissertation Awards

Institutions within and outside of the SREB region may choose to support scholars in the Doctoral Scholars Program. Institutional Award selections are determined at the university level — not by SREB. If you are interested in being an institutionally funded doctoral or dissertation scholar and your institution is listed below, email with your name, field of study, institution and admission status. We will forward your information to the appropriate graduate school and department contact.